Gone Clubbing

Monday, December 04, 2006

Movies

This weekend, my brother and I went to see the movie Borat. It was quite funny but not hilarious at any point. The positive thing about the movie was that the jokes were so far from left field you couldn’t predict them in advance, unlike a lot of movies where you can see ‘em coming a mile away. Frankly, in my opinion, it would have been better suited as a tv-movie. Do I recommend it? Hard to say. If you don’t feel that you are losing out in the chatter around the water cooler then I’d personally wait until it’s on tv.
---------------
On Saturday I decided to do something different and go to Giggling Marlin. My brother in arms was out of action due to a cold so I thought it would be an appropriate night for it, since Martin is hesitant of going to places were there are mostly Finns.

Fontana has a reputation of being a place for 18year olds but quite frankly I think that crown now should belong to Gigglin’. The place was packed with people so young you wondered if they had even started growing their own pubes yet…or if they had to buy them from Scott Tennerman.

And there was indeed a vast majority of Finns. In fact, I’d go as far as to say that if you do not at least speak a bit of Finnish you don’t need to bother going there. That is if your motive is to pick up chicks. If you just want to sit around and watch or jump around like a maniac on the dance floor to the tune of Sexy back then this place is for you.

I did meet some people I know however. One of them was a Finnish chick who used to be dating my ex’s boss’ son. She came over and started talking t ome quite a few times during the evening so eventually I started wondering if she was coming on to me. I don’t think she’s really my type though because she doesn’t speak Swedish at all. Still, I could pork her I guess.

Otherwise the night was pretty average. Nothing really ground breaking and nothing really incredibly boring. The drinks were cheap and they did play Scissor Sisters’ “I don’t feel like dancing” twice so I might head over there again. I would like to check out the action at Royal before that though. I’ll go out again on Tuesday but I’m still undecided as to where.
------------------
On Sunday as I was heading back to town I got the idea that I’d go see Saw3. I’d been waiting for it to premier and it was a suitable night so I headed over to the movies again. It was better than Borat, that’s for sure. However, you really have to have seen the two first movies to be able to follow the plot fully.

The Saw movies aren’t really scary in my opinion. Gross-yes, disturbing-certainly, frightening-not really. I would label them more as psycological thrillers or something. My brother recently wrote a blog about a movie based on an experiment that drew forth the darkest sides of man. The writers of Saw must have tapped into that side because the stuff they come up with is downright sick.

I’m a tad torn about the third installment of the series though. In many ways, it’s the best of the three. There are a good number of traps and where the second one failed (bringing too many characters into the mix) the third goes back to basics with only a handful of characters, allowing for more background to be told about them. The ending is also very Saw-like, where the final twist is unrolled at breakneck speed. Also, there were a lot of questions from the first two that were answered in thye third.

But…at the same time I can’t help to think that the concept is getting a bit old. The first one was brilliant in the basic plot. The second one tried to be a bit different but stumbled. The third one improved on the first one but was not as groundbreaking. If you would judge the first and third as stand-alone films I’d have to say that the third was better, but in the context, considering what came before, then I’m not so sure. It’s like Halo and Halo2 or Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. Both Halo2 and Perfect Dark were better games but somehow they did not live up to their predecessors. However, if you saw (pun intended) the first two and liked them then the third is a definite must see.

I would have liked to see the series come to an end but the suits have obviously decided to milk this cash cow for all she’s worth and kept the door open for yet another sequel. And that’s putting it mildly. Shit, they almost guarantee a fourth installment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home