Gone Clubbing

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The Move-scam

Today I am pissed off.
A few days ago I get a call from a chick I met at Fontana. She says she has got a very interesting business proposition for me. My mind immediately registered it as :”So, you want to be suckered into a get-rich-quick-multi-level-marketing-scheme?” However, I agreed to meet her for a coffee and so today we did. She didn’t have the guts or the knowledge to do it herself so she brought along a hired gun; some guy who did all the talking.

Rewind tape a few days.
A talk to yet another chick who I met at another bar. She immediately says: ”oh, that Move thing” when I mention it. I take a note of the name and later do an internet search. The first freakin’ link that comes up mentions that the company is currently under investigation and is due in court for (Finnish terms ahead BEWARE)
1 rahankeräysrikos
2 markkinointirikos
3 rekisterimerkintärikos

Remember that was the FIRST link. Then there were a bunch of lengthy explanations basically saying that it was a bunch of BS. The program is based on multiple levels of members so the network will grow exponentially. After only 23 levels there will be more members than the population of Finland. Any idiot is able to see that such an idea cannot work.

Anyway, needless to say I had done my homework so I came into the meeting prepared and ready to spew venom. When I saw the Move logo on the folder the guy had I almost got a boner. This would be fun.

He started out by asking if I had done any shopping on the internet and how I’d like it if I got paid to do it. I immediately explained that I had bought exactly two cd’s over the internet in the past year for a total of 18 euros and asked him what you can get for 18 euros. After a while of me breaking down his ”oh internet shopping is so great it’s the future I tell you” speach I then brought out the big guns.

”I see it says Move there on your folder. That wouldn’t happen to be Move Networks Oy would it?” I asked. I noticed he was a bit shaken by my question. I doubt he had foreseen that some sucker would actually be able to do research before coming to one of his propaganda speeches.

I then asked him how the case against them was going. According to him: ”it’s under control” and that it ”has no effect on HIS organisation”. The sources on the net indicate otherwise. (Finnish ahead, take a deep breath…it’s a long one).

” Jos yhtiö tuomitaan rahankeräysrikoksesta, niin ”peliin” osallistuneet voidaan tuomita menettämään palkkiot valtiI olle. Lisäksi tulee sakkoja ja eniten tienanneille ehdollista vankeutta maksimissa kaksi vuotta”.

(English explanation ahead, relax now) If the company is convicted, those who have partaken in the ”game” can lose their winnings to the government. Those who have profitted the most will be fined and face possible jail time with a maximum sentence of two years in jail. And I am supposed to lay my trust in the words of some poor schmuck who according to himself had lost money on the last scheme he was involved with ’cause he says ”it’s under control”. Gee wizz, that sure sounds like a golly good deal to me. Where do I sign?

His explanation for the things I found?
”Yeah sure, but you can find shit on practically every company out there”…”practically every company has been sued”. Okay then, I guess if you say so then it must be okay then.

What about the fact that 98% of participants drop out within a year? ”No that’s not correct, according to my statistics (which comprised of 80 participants over a full year…wow…that must be more reliable than official studies with THOUSANDS of participants over several years) only 20% drop out”.

But you know what really eats me about this? The chick who contacted me. I honestly believed she was smarter than to fall for something like this. She said she wanted leadership training, I asked her why she didn’t just join the army. If you are looking for leadership training is THE place to get it. It will also look very good on your resume. FUCK! Is she really that god damned stupid?!

FUCK! What is her brain made of clay?! Was she born that dumb or did she have to take lessons?

So if you get a call from someone you barely know who wants you to discuss an interesting business deal it will most likely be about Move. If anyone does contact you I suggest you take a look at this site before you go to the meeting.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/petteri.haipola/verkostomarkkinointi/tyypillinen/index.htm

But if you got a hard on for being suckered into get rich quick schemes and lose a bunch of money- go right ahead. Hell, I’ll even volunteer to videotape the carnage and jack off to it later.

5 Comments:

  • At 7:28 AM, Blogger Ainu said…

    I've been to one of those propaganda meetings.

    It was my old school buddy who called me.

    It sounded too good to be true and I didn't like the things they sold.. And I thought the most important thing in business is to like the products you're selling.

    I didn't understand the whole of it..

    The basics were lost in the glorious speech..

    It was like the diary from Harry Potter Movie 2. Talking thing without a brain.

    So I said I think about it. And never called back to my old friend.

     
  • At 4:16 PM, Blogger Jacke said…

    Good thing that almost noone knows my phone #.

     
  • At 11:45 PM, Blogger Jonas said…

    Some questions I think one should ask of oneself before even considering something like this:
    - a multi level marketing scheme is highly dependent on your ”down line”, the people below you. Do you really want to be dependent upon other people to make you money, especially considering that 98% of people drop out within a year?
    - if the products are that great, why must they be sold using such a questionable method and not traditional retail outlets etc. Can the products not stand on their own?

    A few years ago there was a similar scheme called Nature’s Own, which is and never was successful here in Vasa. The guy claimed that it IS successful...in Sweden and other places. Move seems to be pretty similar. How will that succeed when Nature’s did not? That it is successful in Sweden is a moot point since this clearly isn’t Sweden. Vasa has proven that the market does not exist. There is a reason for there no one selling snow shoes in Africa- the market does not exist.

     
  • At 2:06 AM, Blogger Jonas said…

    That should have been:
    "...which is not, and never was, successful..."

    and

    "...there is a reason for there not being anyone selling snow shoes..."

    Got a bit too excited there for a while so I fucked it up...my bad.

     
  • At 8:00 AM, Blogger Ainu said…

    It's understandable alright!

    Now I have seen those fake LV bags.. A lot of those..
    Where do they get them?

    Gowabonga, I know Jacke's number ;)
    Well... I don't really. It's on my memory card.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home