Gone Clubbing

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I'm a dia-whatnow?

I went for a repeat health checkup today, since my blood pressure was a bit high. It’s supposed to be 85/140 (or was it 145?) and mine was 87/...something. So it’s not like it’s off the charts or anything. Well anyhoo, a few weeks ago I had been for a blood test so they could check my cholesterol and stuff. All that was normal but there was one number in the reds.

Turns out I’m almost diabetic. My glucose level, after not eating for 12 hours was higher than normal, which means my body can’t process glucose as well as normal. Therefore I should stay away from simple carbohydrates (good thing I know what that is). There is a chance I might be able to lower the number by making changes in my diet too.

At first I thought that would be a problem but after thinking about it more I do eat pasta after work. I could switch that to another kind. I also eat potatoes and meat after my workouts so I could cut back on the carbs there too. Other than that I eat mainly complex carbs and protein rich foods.

I am pleased with a number of things with this result. First, it’s not my protein supplement that is the cause (if anything I should probably eat more protein). Second, my cholesterol level was normal, which means I don’t eat too much fat or anything and can continue what I’m doing. Third, if I start eating even more healthy and cut back on carbs it will probably help me lower my body fat percentage even more.

I wonder if this is the cause for my dislike for all kinds of cakes and such. For the longest time I have disliked whenever I’ve had to chow down on any kind of cake. Whenever someone retires, has a birtday, gets a kid or something you have to eat cake. I hate it. Now I have an excuse not to eat the disgusting slop, ha ha! However, I wonder if I dislike cake BECAUSE my body can’t process the sugar that well or if I dislike it because of other reasons.
Anyway, since I really don’t find it hard to eat healthy and stay away from candy and stuff I don’t think this’ll cause any major concerns for me. I seriously doubt I’ll have to start shooting up or anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home