Gone Clubbing

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Language rant

My god there are some dumb people in this world. Yesterday I finally got Vaasan Ikkuna (a free newspaper for those who don’t know). There was this one person who was complaining about the recent Vaasa Football Cup-soccer tournament. His/her issue was, as I understood it, that a speaker had commented on the games in Swedish first and then an abbreviated version in Finnish. The guy complaining also had an issue with the fact that they also used English. According to him that was unnecessary.

This is so god damn typical of Finns! Ninety five percent of the time it’s the other way around. Swedish speakers always get the short end of the stick. When something is in writing the Swedish version is often smaller and beneath the Finnish text. No one says a god damn thing about that but as soon as Swedish is spoken first Finns get their panties in a wad. The law states that both languages are equal but in reality Swedish is treated as a second rate language while Finnish is seen as THE language to speak.

I sometimes wonder if this attitude is the reason for most Finns not being able to speak other languages very well. Out in the world they say that Finns usually are very good at languages. I disagree. Yes, it is rue that a lot get by using English if someone asks something on the street. But ”getting by” does not equal ”good”.

Most Finns are in no sense of the word good at English. The pronounciation sucks, their grammar is terrible and vocabulary very limited. I was once in charge of correcting a report written in English by our class in school. At first I couldn’t believe that the text was written by people well in their 20’s. The grammar was at junior high school level at best.

As for the English in the soccer tournament; I guess the dude was unaware that there were a lot of teams from abroad there who DO NOT UNDERSTAND FINNISH because contrary to popular belief, Finnish is NOT a language spoken everywhere. Dumbass.
----------------------
I had another strange dream this morning. I dreamt that I woke up by a pounding on my window. I looked up and saw satan standing on my balcony. It was Satan from South Park by the way. He was pounding away at the window, yelling that I should let him in.

Anyway, it was Satan, why should I let him in? So I gave him the finger and put my head back on the pillow. That really pissed him off and he managed to break my window and was about to climb in when the dream changed scenery and I was back home with my brother who was trying to photograph a pingwin in our barn.

Then for some reason I got annoyed at a chick from Närpes because she was too stupid to understand something so I had to bash her with a wooden board.
I wonder if I have played GTA too much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home