Gone Clubbing

Sunday, July 09, 2006

It's summer

I was just outside in the garden eating fresh strawberries. There was a light breeze that didn't feel the least bit cold, the sun was shining and I realised that, yes, it is now officially summer. I felt the same thing this weekend as me and martin came out from Fontana and it was warm.

We went out both friday and saturday this weekend. On friday our friend jens wanted us to come to Vörå for some sort of village idiot party called the Vörå-days. However, since martin came to the conclusion that he had to be drunk to go there it would mean that I would have to give him a ride back into town so he wouldn't have to face his parents later at home when hung over or semi drunk. So I tossed out the idea that we'd go to Fontana because they had free entry and a grand re-opening party. Martin thought this was a sound plan so we went ahead with it.

We went to martin's sister's place first for a pre-party. When we got there I noticed her boyfriend had gotten a new guitar so naturally I had to try it out. At one point marre noted that I had pictures up on the web and showed them to her bf's friend who was also there and wanted to see them. Later on he said: "Hey, I have a question. You look like one of them Scandinavian Hunks and play guitar like a motherfucker and you don't have a girlfriend. So what the fuck must we normal guys do to get one?". I had no answer for him but found the question to be quite amusing.

We got there and the place was pretty full. I was relieved 'cause I hadn't thought that would be the case. Fontana seems to have managed to attract at least some interest once again. Only time will tell if interest will last or if they will slip into obscurity.

It was hot like hell on the dance floor both days. I was sweating like a pig and guzzled water like a ...big..water guzzling...thing. On thursday I observed that the same problem with too many guys and too few girls on the floor was still prevalent. The situation vastly improved on saturday though.

Another reason I wanted to go on friday was because I was fairly certain I could score tickets to the VIP party on saturday, which I indeed did. One of the dj's asked if I was coming and gave me an invitation when I mentioned I hadn't got one. So on friday we went over there at 9:30 for free drinks and refreshments. I didn't particularly like the food (sun dried tomatoes, orange slices, olives, boiled potatoes and salmon that had already been eaten by the time we got there) and since I don't drink I donated my free drink tickets to Martin, C and her friend who also were there. As a result martin got a total of seven free drinks that night. Still, he was nowhere near his worst drunken state.

So what was the verdict on the new design? Well, it was aestethically pleasing. It looked very nice. However... it did not work in practice. One wondered if the architect had ever been to a night club. Previously there has been one spot where there was a "bottle neck" situation and would get very crowded and hard to get through. By introducing a raised platform area and railing around the same area the architect has effectively lengthened said bottleneck and made it three times worse. He has also created another bottleneck at the entrance to the bathrooms.
When the novelty of the new wears off people will start to get very annoyed at the situation.

Two other new elements were the introduction of mirrors on the pillars by the dance floor and on some walls, which created the illusion of space and a totally black dance floor. The floor wasn't black but the walls and ceiling had all been painted a matte black color. On thursday I thought it was too dark but on friday they seemed to had worked out a way to get the right amount of lighting.

It would be interesting to hear what kind of ideas are behind the design. Was the railing an dincreased seating area introduced in an attempt to attract an older clientele who are more interested in conversation? What was the reasoning for the all black dance floor? And why on earth didn't he manage to not make more bottlenecks? In the case of Giggling Marlin's face lift (that had one bottleneck) they managed to eliminate it alltogether. In the case of Fontana it could even become a fire hazard if the dance floor is packed and everyone needs to get out at the same time. Anyway, one must admit that the design is very contemporary.

Next week we have the Rockperry festival. I am really looking forward to hearing C bitch and whine about how expensive and sucky it is. Notice my sarcasm.

Take care for now.
One love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home