Gone Clubbing

Friday, July 07, 2006

Great deal!

I came accross a great deal today!
In the last couple of weeks the condition of the wheels on my rollerblades has gone from bad to worse, especially since I got a big flat spot on one of them when a small pebble locked the wheel as I was breaking going down a hill. I placed that wheel in the number two spot behind the front wheel and that helped a lot but I still want to swap the wheels as soon as possible.

Today during my lunch break I decided to go through Citymarket. I walked passed the sporting goods section and decided to take a look at the current price of rollerblades as the summer sale has started. Then just as I was leaving I noticed a few sets of wheels with red stickers on the packaging. They were on sale!

Most of them were too small for my taste (76-78 mm) but I found two sets of 80mm wheels. Hurrah! They were not as hard as I’d like (at 78a) but the price was unbeatable; 5 euros for four wheels, marked down from 29.90 ! I even found two sets so now I have 8 brand new wheels for a total cost of 10 euros. I would have put them on tonight and tried them out but unfortunately disaster struck a few days ago.

On the way to the beach there is a section of road where there is no asphalt. There is a loading dock or something similar nearby and by going over that you can cut the section of gravel down to two small (roughly 1metre) long sections on either side. Now, when I go through gravel with rollerblades I usually speed up so I won’t have to take new strides in the middle of it 8that is when you get in trouble).

As I was speeding up I felt that my left foot folded in a bit but didn’t think much of it at first. After the second gravel pit however, I knew something was definately wrong. The skate felt very wobbly and lacked the support around the ankle. Upon closer examination I realised that the plastic around the ankle had cracked. As a result I now cannot put as much pressure on that foot as I normally would.

I figure the crack is a result of my aggressive skating style. I prefer hard wheels because they are faster and I like to do tight turns and the occasional jump. During the landing there is a lot of pressure on the plastic supporting the ankle. All that, in combination with worn wheels (which angles the foot even more inwards), probably resultet in the busted skate. They were only two seasons old too.

I can still use it but I can’t go full out though. I will try to repair it over the weekend by ”sewing” it together with thick metal wire but I’m not sure it will do the trick. If not I will just have to bite the bullet and get new skates...more expensive ones with as little plastic as possible.

P.S.I’m also thinking of getting new ball bearings as Halpa Halli has sets of eight Abec 7 bearings for only 12 euros.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home