Gone Clubbing

Friday, September 02, 2005

It's a cultural thing

A little background is in order.
The country I live in has two official languages; Finnish and Swedish. Most people speak Finnish while there is a minority of about 6% who speak Swedish. I am one of those 6%. In my home town however, there is about 30% who speak Swedish. I would say for the most part, the Swedish population hang out at the same place and in the same "clicks" while the Finnish population has their "clicks". Sure there are a few exceptions but in my experience that is the way it is.

Now to the point of all this.
I have heard some people claim that Finnish people tend to be a lot more straight forward and uninhibited when it comes to dating and especially when it comes to hitting on women in bars and clubs. It seems all you have to do (if you are a chick) is to make eye contact and the Finnish dude asks you right away if you want to "make the beast with two backs" (I have actually heard a chicks say this).

It is also interesting that no one seems to be able to properly translate the term "making out" into Finnish. Maybe they don't have that in their culture. Maybe they all just say: "hey" and then they go home and do the dirty.

So I started thinking about my own experiences. Men and women are different so I can obviously not say whether the original claim here is correct or not (even though the gay dude who hit on me was Finnish) . Please don't give me any of that feminist bullshit about "men and women are equal". I fart in the general direction of such remarks when it comes to the club scene. When it comes to clubbing there are huge enormous, pre-feminazi-burning-their-bra's differences. But I digress...

So what about my own experiences. All my long term relationships I have had were with Swedish speaking girls. It is probably not a big secret that I 've had a few one night stands in my days and the majority of those have been with Finnish speaking girls. It's actually 67%.

Now, as a guy I have the "privelage" of choosing who I go home with (to a degree of course). By that I do not mean that I can go home with whomever I want but rather that I can see who is out looking for "some action" and I can then pick and choose from those. So it IS possible that I have subconsciously picked Finnish speaking chicks so I wouldn't get a reputation of being a "player" or something among the Swedish speaking chicks that I ultimately end up having long term things with.

But who knows... it might also be that the Finns are easier. A good a reason as any to learn a second language I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home